onsdag den 18. april 2012

Saturday - Booze, Broads and Hot Rods (that is, what it's called!)

Saturday was the big day for my first car show, where I would stay at the same hotel in which it was held. I got up in my nice two roomed hotel room, and I went down for the complimentary breakfast, which was in this small indoor jungle, kind of like a growth garden with lots of plants, waterfalls and fountains - very fancy, compared to the freeway hotel, I had been staying at in Vegas. As I was eating my breakfast, a lady walked by me and said "Hey, rocker!" with a smile on her face, so I could see, she was there for the show as well. Then she paused, and said "Well, you're not from around here!" I asked, who she could tell, because I thought I looked a lot like the others here for the show, and she told me, I must be european, because I was using my left hand for my fork and my right hand for my knife. I hadn't noticed before she said it, but all around me people were doing it opposite! I think it was kuul, she noticed, and as I left the eating area, I bid her and her husband a good day - but I got to see them later.
The carshow didn't start until 1 o'clock, so after breakfast, I went up to my room and slept for another hour. Then I got up and got ready for the carshow.
The Booze, Broads and Hot Rods show is held by a local all girls car club named the Bombshells, who turned out to be really great hosts! It was held at the hotels parking lot, right next to the San Francisco bay, so as we walked around the cars, we could enjoy the ocean view - it was great! I immediately ran in to Sean, who had drove out there in his '63 Nova four door, a real kuul beater with a 250cui straight 6 out of a '69 truck with three carbs on a Offenhauser intake and with pipe headers, which he drives without the bonnet, as it had overheated on a trip back to his parents, so he left there, and after a while his father scrapped it, so now it's just hoodless! Looks so kuul that way!
Besides Sean's rodded Nova, there were a lot of really fine cars there, and people were nice and friendly, so we really had a good time, looking at cars. Especially there were a '28/'29 pheaton, which I liked, a wild looking '30 coupe with slicks and spindle mounted front wheels from California Hot Rods by Mike Smith, and a really kuul, patinized model A roadster on '32 frame with wide five wheels. Sean told me, the owner is one of the men behind one of the endurance races near by, and he drives the cars without mercy! I like cars like that, that are build to be driven and gets driven as they are build to!
In the evening there were several bands playing, I especially liked Roddy Jackson - I still have the hick-ups! He put on a very good show, and it turned out to be the husband from the couple, who I talked to at the breakfast.
After that, I went up to bed and went to sleep, as I have arranged with Sean, that he would pick me up around 9 o'clock in the morning to go to a local car get-together at one of the piers of San Francisco. What I didn't know was, that the last band was one of Eddie Angels bands, so I missed Eddie Angel, who is a really great surf guitarist, playing. Instead I just went to bed.
But that's life out here, there is always more to see and more stuff to do!