onsdag den 18. april 2012

Monday 16th - shipping problems, the Walt Disney store and a closed garage door

Monday I went back to the morning ritual of having a cup of coffee with Sean, before he left for work.
After that I started trying to figure something out with shipping of my brakes. First Alison was kind to drive me to the postal office, but the suitcase was too heavy and exceeded their limit. But I got to send a few postcards. Alison then drove me home, took off for work, and I went online in search of a cheap way of shipping the parts back home. Well, let's just say, I could have bought two sets of brakes, if I lived in California! The first shipping price was around $1000 with UPS, I then tried their freight department and got a price of only $310. To make sure, I called their service phoneline, but they told me, the cheap price is for business to business only, so I couldn't use the $310 shipping as a private person. I then tried FedEx, but they wanted $1400! Being desperate, I tried GLS, whom I have shipped something with inside Denmark, but they only ship in Europe. So I ended up with a combined shipping of UPS and ShopUSA being the cheapest way, as that would cost me a little less than $600. But as I don't have the money for that ontop of buying the parts, I had to ask Sean, if I could leave the brakes at his place for a while, and have him helpng me ship them to me, when I'm back in Denmark.
So kind of down, I went by BART to go to the Union Square, to go and visit the Walt Disney store, as I was getting Tina and Michael a pressent for being so helpfull with the money transfer. But that place is really nice and filled with a lot of Disney merchandise.
After that I went by Sean's work, Melrose motors, as he had told me about a guy in that neighborhood, who builds 4-banger engines and who has a lot of rare speed parts for them as well. But when we walked over there, the garage door was closed and the guy didn't seem to be there. So we went back to Seans work, and started talking about his projects and plans.
Sean has, besides the Nova, a '56 Chevy pick up truck at the garage at home, he wants to get finished, a '52 Chevy at work, that used to be a four door and is now being chopped up for parts for Steves '52, and he recently bought a '26 tudor body, for which he has different plans of what to do. He bought the front end of a early '50s Ford 1/2 ton pick up with a flat head truck V8 and transmission, which he is thinking of using, but he also have a 390 Cadillac V8 and a NOS (new, old stock- an old part, that has never been used) Iskendrian '505' camshaft for the Cad engine. Then he needs a good frame, but he got some frame pieces laying around, which he might weld together to make a frame of his own. Oh yeah, he also have a '70s styled Honda powered chopper, he bought of a friend, who build it for some local bike show. I mean, it's like this everywhere over here- if you have one, you usually have more than one! And Sean seems to be productive, so I guess, he will have both cars finished in a few years, and the bike sooner, as he is going to comute back and forth to work in the winter. Looking forward to see them, once they are finished!
We then went home, made dinner and then we saw the movie 'Boys of Bonneville', which is about Ab Jenkins effort for making the Bonneville salt flats into a place for land speed records, and later his son Marv, who spend his last days restoring the farthers old racecar- a fantastic movie with amazing people!
After that I told Sean and Alison, that I was going to sleep in as to get some sleep prior to the flight, and we went to bed.

Keep 'em kruzin!
Dannerr