onsdag den 14. maj 2014

Wheel studs and lug nuts!

Long time since last post, I know. Have had some trouble posting pictures via the phone, so I've sort of waited till it maybe got better- it didn't! Don't know, if it's the app, or my telecompany, Telenor, that does it.
So for now, (properbly!) no pictures...

Have been working (not to hard, though) on getting closer to having Hippo back on the road, got her old engine back in with a new waterpump, hoping the previous loss of water stops by doing so. Got her to the sheetmetal guy, who put work in for what he believed, was left over from the four door- we do not quite see eye to eye on this, but I'll get back to that in a later post. Got her back from his greedy claws, and started rust repair in the rear wheel wells myself. It's my first time ever to do "real" body work, and therefore I'm quite carefull, properbly spending way too much time on aligning things. But so far, I'm enjoying it, looking forward to be driving her again!

Ole-Henry was put away in november, and got back on the road about a month ago. I finished cleaning up the wiring harnes mess, prevoius owner had made, and is now down to original harnes and added blinkers. I installed another generator, as I thought the old was broken- it turned out to be the relay instead. But the bearing in the old generator was starting to make noise, so I've ordered a new- and was amased, when I discovered, that the same bearing is used to support the input shaft on the gear box in the fly wheel!
I even installed another horn- with cromed outlet! Was by the Danish national Model A club's swap meet, where a very nicely restored sedan, with a horn like my new, was parked- and the owner got hasseled for driving around with "a hot rod horn like that!"... Still smiling, thinking about my definition of a hot rod- and what those original freaks would have to say to that!

The last couple of weeks has been about wheel studs, lug nuts and right rear tire. I knew, the threads was not too good on the rear hubs, but after this years first race (held by a club mate, going around his familys black smith work shop- which came in handy, when O-H broke the mounting ring on the exhaust pipe!), we discovered the right rear wheel was loose, when we got back home. Dismanteling the wheel showed, that only three wheel stud threads was kind of ok, so I gathered info on what to do. Bought new studs at the model A club, along with rim washers and lug nuts, and borrowed an end mill for removing the riveted edge, holding the hub and brake drum together. Meanwhile the wheel got a flat, so I bought a new tube at the afformentioned swap meet. The tire is pretty worn, so I cannot revommend buying Lucas tires, as they don't last that long.
Yesterday I then got to a friends farthers metal work shop, and borrowed a bench drill (for milling the edge away), a welder, and a press to remove the old and install new wheel studs.
Procedure was quite easy: clean the best thread, in order to keep at least one stud, so hub and drum don't cone apart. Then mill the riveted edge on the other four studs, press (or hammer) with support on the back (important, if you wish to use the hubs again!) the old stud out, place the new and weld it from behind. The end mill, I'd borrowed, was straight edged, and riveting was inclined/conical, so I had to remove some drum material. I'm working on finding another end mill for myself, and modify it to fit the inclination, but for now, it'll have to do.
Hub back on car, and wheel mounted with washers this time, hoping the lug nuts does deform like the previous did. The drive home went ok, with me out of the car three times to check, wheel was still firmly attached- it was!

Pictures (or attemt to upload):










So, with the risk if jinxing it, I think we are ready for this years Trackdays!

Keep 'em kruzin!
Dannerr