mandag den 22. april 2013

Old tool put to new use

Yesterday I managed to take the new engine for my tudor apart. In order to take out the valves, I had to modify an old swap finding, a valve spring compressor:





I knew, I had a thing, that looked like the tool to push out the valve guides, but it was wrong, so I slided the first one out, and used it as the tool instead.





Using the modified spring compressor to compress spring:


Removal of  spring retainer:





With fingers, I pulled spring clear of push rod and twisted spring past push rod:


My fingers couldn't bend the spring, so I rotated spring off of valve steam.


As mentioned, I used one valve guide half to push other valve guide half's loose. I would have had to find a proper tool, if valve guide's were stuck! Luckily, these weren't.





I then pulled one half off - and used the option of dropping the other half in the old oil!


Then I was able to pull out the spring, and be proud, that I didn't break anything... this time!


Engine completely torn down:





Empty block (except bolts):


Pressure plates applied, fosset on head open for letting air out, open water supply:


Then I made sure, the block is not cracked:











Meanwhile the clock had turned ten, and I returned to workshop to discover, it was night:




Got home, got to bed - was tiered, but proud!

Keep 'em kruzin!
Dannerr